Forstal Reformatory for Boys
I am very impressed by the methods you use to form the character of the boys entrusted to you. They are definitely more promising than those recommended by all those dogooders who talk big in what’s called “education science” today.
Therefore I plan to entrust my twins Silvio and Marco (turn 14 in July) to you as soon as possible; I am sure you will find a way to cure them from those bad habits they recently acquired, like smoking, playing truant, lying, talking back etc.
Before I make a final decision, however, I have a few issues that I would like to be clarified.
- Can I give you instructions as to how to deal with my boys? I noticed that for that Edward King, this was possible, so I think it is possible for Marco and Silvio too.
For example, I would like the boys to be kept in chains 24/7 (unless, of course, you decide to use stricter restraints on them), and you had better keep them permanently gagged, except for lessons and meals, of course. That is the only way to keep them from backtalking, cursing and probably complaining.
- I was quite surprised to see those makeshift gags you use on your convicts. In an institution that has, despite its short existence, already gained a reputation of being highly professional, one would expect something more professional than gags like the ones we used on prisoners when we played ‘Cowboys and Indians’ as Boy Scouts. I’m sure, however, this is just due to a delayed delivery.
- I was very pleased to see that the boys are secured for the night in a way that effectively prevents inadequate activities. A second look at page 13, however, told me that the job has not been done as carefully as it should be done: Tony Prince’s left leg is NOT secured to the bed post, so that he can move it freely, and his left arm is chained to the bedFRAME instead of the bedpost, giving him even more freedom of movement. Moreover, Monty Royal’s blindfold is not placed correctly: his right eye still has an, albeit limited, field of sight under the blindfold.
You might find it a good idea to have a word in earnest with whoever is responsible for the dormitory to make him do his job correctly in future.
- Traditional educationists know that one of the best ways to form a boy’s character is hard work. So far, however, your brochure gives no informations about any kind of work the boys are to do.
So, do you (or do you plan to) assign some kind of hard work to the boys? In addition to the positive effect on the boys’ character, it could also be beneficial to the financial situation of your institution.
- I am afraid it will be a problem to get my boys into your custody: They will hardly follow me to your premises vountarily. So, the only possibility I see is to ask you to send a team to my home that takes them by surprise. If it is possible to do so at nighttime while they are asleep, they could both be chained, gagged and ready for transport before they realize what’s happening.
I love my boys and do not want to be so hard on them, but I am afraid that if I do not take effective measures, they will sooner or later end in prison.
I trust in you to have the positive effect on them that is so badly needed.
Some day, they will thank me.